Fruit is healthy, full of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. It plays an important part on a healthy diet.
Fruits provide fiber, vitamins, antioxidants and many other substances essential for optimum health. It is not a matter any more of just having citrus fruits because they are a good source of vitamin C.
Buy fresh, firm fruit and eat it within a few days. Store it in a cool, dark place.
All fruit is seasonal but there are good supplies of imported fruit; most fruits are available at your grocery store pretty much all through the year. Nevertheless, local seasonal fruit is granted to provide you with the most nutrients. Try to choose fruit in season, at least, fruit in season at the country of origin. Not only it will provide more nutrients, it will be cheaper, as well; besides, seasonal surplus can produce real bargains.
Ways with fruit
To avoid pesticides and chemichals, switch to organic foods whenever possible.
Juicing fruit is a healthy enterprise, and fruit juices are delicious.
Every season brings its own fruits, and sometimes we have a bounty. Find below some ideas to buy fruit at its best and eat it when you want.
A glut of fruit
- Wash, halve, discard the pit, weigh and cook with the same measure of sugar -chop while the fruit cooks if you wish. Can.
- Wash, discard the pit, boil in a light syrup. Can.
- Wash, discard the pit, weigh, rub with lemon juice to prevent discoloration and puree with the same measure of confectioner's sugar -sieve if your objective is the finest coulis. Serve this sauce with ice cream and other desserts.
- Pour any excess fruit sauce into your ice cream maker for the most delicious and healthy fruit sorbet.
- Wash, discard the pit, cover with a syrup prepared with 1 1/4 cups sugar for every 2 cups water (300g sugar for every 500ml water). Freeze. Frozen this way, fruit will last 12 months.
Use this ideas with apricots or peaches for guaranteed results. Try them with prunes or cherries for a surprising bout of flavor. Try these with strawberries, raspberries, black currants or any of the soft summer fruit... heaven! This tips can be applied to all sort of fruit, passion fruit, mango, lychees. Be adventurous and dare to experiment.