Lots of people do not pay much attention to the apples used for baking, as long as they are cooking apples. Try different varieties, even non-cooking apples. An apple crisp becomes a different kind of treat!
- Preheat oven to 375° F (180° C).
- Mix apple slices with sugar and cinnamon; place then at the bottom of a greased baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar and sifted flour, oats, nuts and salt in a bowl.
- Cut and rub in butter as for pastry.
- When the pastry is ready, sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake a 375° F (180° C) for 40 minutes or until the top is crisp and brown, and the apples cooked.
Use a 10" x 6" (25 cm x 18 cm) rectangular baking pan, it would cook fast and even.
This recipe comes from a Connecticut diner where we stopped during a trip from New Jersey to the Cape. It was raining heavily and the warm apple crisp tasted heavenly.
Connecticut, New England