Use it always for bottom crust only sweet pies and tarts, especially those to serve chilled.
- Sift salt and flour in a large bowl.
- Mix in sugar. Cut in butter and work with the wide blade knife to coat the pieces of butter with flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Combine water and egg yolk, pour in the middle of the flour and butter mixture. Use a spatula to get all the liquid.
- Add in chilled water 1 tsp at a time, working with the wide blade knife to drag the dough to the center.
- When the dough forms a ball, take it to a floured surface and knead lightly. Wrap and chill in the fridge or 30 minutes.
- Bake as per your recipe instructions or bake blind for 25-30 minutes.
Keep a cool head and cool hands - dip in cold water and dry if needed while working. Chill all ingredients - water, egg, butter, but not so much it is impossible to cut - and materials - bowl, wide blade knife.
Only add as much ice cold water as needed for the dough to form into a ball - “you may need more or less than recommended, it will depend on the other ingredients.
The original recipe will yield enough dough for eight people either in one pie or eight individual tarts.
Food in the World