Spice racks are an integral part of keeping the kitchen organized.
If you’re unhappy with the current way you store spices, consider what to look for when buying a spice rack. These tips will help you find the best spice rack for your kitchen and your budget.
What to look for when buying a spice rack
Three of the most important things to look for when considering spice racks are what types are best for your home, how much space do they require and how much will they cost you
There are a variety of types of spice racks. You can get some that are magnetic. They can be hung on any metal surface which will keep them handy while you cook. Carousel spice racks require more space than the magnetic kind, but they often hold more of the spice for the amount of space it needs. Hanging spice racks will keep spices up off your cabinet but they often don’t hold the amount of spices as other types.
Next you’ll want to consider how much space you have in your kitchen. If you have plenty of counter space, a carousel rack might be the perfect choice. However, if your kitchen is smaller than you would like with minimal counters, one of the other types would be a better choice.
Finally, you’ll want to consider the price of spice racks. There are so many to choose from and they range in price from under $25 to well over $100. Of course, only you know how much you can afford to spend. You can find some relatively inexpensive spice racks at local department stores or larger malls. They can also be found online at a variety of locations. Consider how much you are willing to spend and then find the best rack to meet your budget.
Features to consider when shopping for a spice rack
- Number of jars – Spice racks will have a different number of filled and sealed spice jars included. Look at the pre-filled spices and think about foods you normally prepare. This will help you decide which spice rack is going to suit your needs best.
- Easily identifiable – You’ll want to find a spice rack that makes it easy to identify which spice is which since so many look similar. This may be possible either by a label on the cap or around the jar itself.
- Amount of spices – Most spice racks provide some spices in the jars or containers. The better spice racks will have more jars of pre-filled spices. They range in number from four to 48.
- Construction – Spice racks can be made from anything from plastic to metal and nearly everything in between. Consider the décor of your kitchen to help you decide which spice rack is best for your kitchen.
- Size – Overall, how much space does it take up on your countertop or in your cabinet? Or does it use non-traditional means to store your spices such as magnets or a hanging rack which can be placed under a cabinet?
- Rotates – Some spice racks will revolve or rotate to make finding the right spice easier.
- Easy cleaning – Depending of the construction materials, the spice rack can clean easily.
Making a comparison table is always a good idea when there are many options to choose from.
|Brand||Spice Stack Super Spicestack||KitchenArt Pro Auto-Measure Spice Carousel||Kamenstein 16-Jar Beechwood|
|Jar count||27||12||16 jars|
|Size||8.5″H x 11″W x 10.75″D||9.6 x 9.6 x 7 inches||6.6 x 6.6 x 10.9 inches|
Now that you have seen some of the types of spice racks available, determined how much you’re willing to spend and how much space it will take in your kitchen, you have the tools you need to choose the best spice rack to suit your needs.