Serve salad inside avocado shell halves or over shredded lettuce. This recipe will serve 8 people as a starter or 4 people as a main dish.
Cook rock lobster tails
- In a pan, heat olive oil, onion, peppercorns and white wine to boiling point. Add lobster tails, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool in the pan.
- Once cooled, remove meat from and slice tail.
Prepare the salad
- Halve avocados, discard stone and carefully remove flesh with a spoon, reserving the shells.
- Slice avocado and sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Pour mayonnaise and cream into a bowl, season with freshly ground black pepper, salt and cayenne. Stir.
- Add sliced rock lobster tails and avocado. Mix carefully, avocado flesh is easy to break.
- Fill empty avocado shells with salad and serve.
If you cannot find rock lobster tails, substitute with freshwater crayfish. You will need 3-4 crayfish tails per rock lobster tail.
Rock lobster meat is sweet and tender, a South African delicacy. The South African rock lobster is a type of spiny lobster. It can be found under the names of Cape lobster, South Africa crayfish or crayfish.
Food in Africa