A tasty recipe idea that helps to stretch the budget while keeping diners satisfied. This recipe has the added benefit that can be prepared with ingredients usually already in the pantry or freezer.
- Heat salted water in a pot and cook pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain well.
- Gently cook the sausages in a frying pan until tender, in their own fat. Remove from the pan when tender, chop and set aside.
- Add sliced leek, sliced mushroom and chopped sweet pepper and cook until tender.
- Stir in the sweet corn, cook for 1-2 minutes to warm it, turn the heat off and reserve until later.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk and canned soup stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in the vegetable mixture, the chopped sausages and cooked pasta. Mix well and heat through.
- Pour the mixture into a heatproof pan. Sprinkle grated cheese and bread crumbs on top.
- Broil until the surface is golden and crisp.
- Let it rest 10 minutes and serve very hot.
Use your favorite type of sausages.
Substitute frozen sweet corn and sweet pepper with canned sweet corn with pepper, drained.
Serve a side salad or steamed green leaf vegetables to round the meal.
Food in Europe
Alternatively, heat the broiler and broil the pasta and sausage mixture until the top is golden brown and crispy. It may take less time.