A traditional soup from Morocco and Algeria with lentils, beans, rice,vegetables and meat.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and cook onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add paprika, cumin, ground coriander and stir a couple of time. Add the chopped tomato and cook 8-10 minutes.
- Add the water, chickpeas and lentils. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chickpeas are tender, 1-2 hours depending on the size and type.
- Add parsley, fresh coriander, lemon juice and rice to the pot and cook until the rice is done, 10-15 minutes.
- Mix the flour with a little water and add to the pot, stirring briskly to avoid lumps. Simmer 5-6 minutes.
- Check the seasoning, adding salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Pour into a soup bowl or ladle into individual ones.
If the liquid evaporates too quickly, add more boiling water.
The method may vary depending on the region. Each family may have their own recipe. Other spices can be added, such as turmeric, bay leaf, caraway seed or nutmeg. More beans can be added, such as fava beans, and other vegetables, such as carrot or celery. Rice can be substituted with pasta such as orzo.
Food in Africa